HINTS FOR PIZZA MAKING:
- Always flour the board you roll and prepare the pizzas on, and the paddle you use to place them into the oven on beforehand. If you leave them for too long on these surfaces before you move them and you find that they are sticking a little, simply raise up a few sides of the base of the pizza and dust some extra flour underneath.
- When making Pizzas don’t pile on the toppings or the tomato base as you will lose some of that authentic woodfired pizza oven taste.
- Keep the pizza toppings you use down to a few ingredients. This allows your taste buds to really savor that wood fired pizza oven taste.
- Always use thinly sliced pizza toppings
- If using hard toppings such as potatoes and pumpkin, give them a few minutes in the oven or microwave before placing them onto the pizza. This ensures that the pizza ingredients cook evenly.
- Allow a 2 cm gap between the pizza sauce and the edge of the pizza
- Add a new flavor to your pizza dough by adding flavored oils or fresh herbs
- Brush the rim of the pizza base with olive oil to prevent the rim burning
- Turn the pizza a couple of times during cooking to ensure that it cooks evenly
- Put your cheese on first, then add the other ingredients. This helps to keep the ingredients on the pizza when you bite into it instead of it all coming off with the cheese
- Try different cheeses such as camembert, blue vein, Parmesan flakes, feta and goat cheeses.
GRILLED LAMB PIZZA WITH ROSEMARY VINAIGRETTE
8 lamb pieces, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
2 tablespoons olive oil
250g button mushrooms halved
2 pizza bases
½ cup (125ml) pizza sauce (tomatoes, basil, garlic, olive oil, pepper, salt)
200g baby spinach leaves
20g flaked parmesan cheese
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tbsp seeded mustard
25g finely grated parmesan cheese
2 tsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
2 cloves garlic, crushed
¼ cup (125ml) olive oil
Place lamb between sheets of plastic wrap; pound to an even thickness. Coat lamb with combined mustard, garlic, rosemary and oil in a shallow dish. Marinate overnight. Cook lamb on heated oiled grill plate (or grill or barbecue) until browned both sides and cooked through.Gently toss spinach with rosemary vinaigrette in large bowl. Place lamb, mushrooms, and spinach on pizzas; sprinkle with parmesan. Combine all Rosemary Vinaigrette ingredients in a jar; shake well and drizzle over the top of the pizza after its cooked just before serving.
PEAR, PROSCIUTTO AND BRIE PIZZA
2 tsp olive oil
Portion of pizza dough base
2 ripe pears, cored and cut into thin wedges
2 bunches of asparagus, woody ends removed and cut into 5cm lengths
8 slices of prosciutto, torn
200g brie, thinly sliced
1 tbs fresh lemon thyme leaves
Sprinkle of shaved parmesan flakes
Small handful of rocket leaves
Pre-cook asparagus and pear in the wood-fired oven for a few minutes until soft. This ensures that the pizza ingredients cook evenly when placed into the pizza oven. Roll out pizza dough. Add all toppings except the Parmesan cheese and cook in a hot pizza oven for 3-4 minutes. Before serving, drizzle with oil and sprinkle with shaved Parmesan cheese and rocket.